Friday, March 19, 2010

Pull ups


I feel like pull ups are one of my biggest weaknesses, if you read my blog then you have heard me say that before. I never did pull ups until I started crossfitting, I used the assisted pull up machine occasionally but never body weight pull ups. Primarily because I couldn't. When I went to get CrossFit certified on May 3rd of 2008, we did "Fran" - 21 Thrusters(95#)/21 Pull ups/ 15 Thrusters/15 Pull ups/9 Thrusters/9 Pull ups. I got rocked, I did my first set of thrusters unbroken, that was also the first time I had ever done a thruster, but my pull ups were terrible. When I got back from that certification I was not only 100% sold on CrossFit being the most effective strength and conditioning program for me but I was also determined to be able to do pull ups. I am proud to say that I can now do pull ups, I am not the best at them, but I can do them. I need to lose about 12 pounds in the next 2 months and I am positive that will help my pull ups for Regional's.

Today we had a TWC trainer workout at the studio at 2pm, Amy, Will and I did the CrossFit.com wod. It is kind of confusing but here it is:

"With a continuously running clock, do one pull-up and one handstand push-up the first minute, two pull-ups and two handstand push-ups the second minute, three pull-ups and three handstand push-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able. When you cannot complete the required number of reps for either exercise, continue only with the other as long as you are able.

Use as many sets in any order each minute as needed."

Ok, so if you understand that here is how it went:

warm up
-circuit
3 sets of 10
-GHD sit ups
-GHD back ext
5 sets of 5
-135# push press

W.O.D.

1st minute - 1 pull up 1 HSPU (1 abmat depth)
2nd minute - 2 pull ups 2 HSPU
3rd minute - 3 pull ups 3 HSPU
4th minute - 4 pull ups 4 HSPU
5th minute - 5 pull ups 5 HSPU
6th minute - 6 pull ups 6 HSPU
7th minute - 7 pull ups 5 HSPU
8th minute - 8 pull ups
9th minute - 9 pull ups
10th minute - 10 pull ups
11th minute - 11 pull ups
12th minute - 12 pull ups
13th minute - 7 pull ups
14th minute - 14 GHD sit ups (Ithrew these in b/c Will was still doing pull ups)
15th minute - 10 GHD sit ups

This workout got really tough, those handstand push ups are tough! I felt pretty good about my pull ups, I want to work on them for a couple more weeks and then I am going to do "Fran" to see where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment