Sunday, February 21, 2010

SobeFit 5k......why not?

When we came in town Thursday I saw a sign for a 5k run on Sunday, I thought it would be a cool to run in but wasn't sure if I was going to. When I went to the website yesterday to sign up it showed that registration was full.....so I called the phone number on the website and the lady said that the pre-race registration was full but they would have some spots open in the morning if I wanted to come out and sign up. She also said that she has had a lot of people contact her about this race and to secure a spot I would probably need to come out at 3:30 or 4am....the race was at 8am and I thought that was ridiculous so I figured I would not run.

I woke up this morning at 7:20am and thought I would call that lady just to see if there were spots open, sure enough there were 41 spots and she said to hurry because there were still people arriving to sign up. I quickly ate a banana, had an advocare spark energy drink, took a quick shower put on my clothes and rushed out of the hotel to get a cab. The race was starting right off the beach at 8th and ocean drive in South Beach Miami. I made it to the race at about 7:40 and went to the wrong sign up table first and by the time I made it to the right table the guy in front of me got the last spot.....

So I asked the lady if I could PLEASE get a race bib and run the race, she told me to hang around for 10 minutes and she would see what she could do....I waited.

Fortunately for me, I got a spot! So I had about 10 minutes to warm up and then the race began, there were about 1800 runners, here are my results:

Time: 21:06
Pace: 6:48 per mile
Overall Place: 62nd
25-29 Age Group Place: 15th

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to run! Your time was way better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not bad dude, always good to pester race directors enough to get what you want, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You showed up on my Sobefit google alert:)

    ReplyDelete