Thursday, February 25, 2010

Five Finger Shoes


You may have heard of the newest fad in running, some magazines and experts have recently talked about the benefits of running barefoot. The first thing that comes to mind is "ouch", right? I am 20 chapters into a book called Born To Run which is what I think inspired these thoughts. If you have not read that book, you should, even if you are not a runner. Well, a new line of shoes...not really shoes, more like gloves for your feet, called the 5 finger shoes is supposed to give you the closest and safest simulation of running barefoot.

I received a pair from my AWESOME brother (Henry), AWESOME sister-in-law (Laura) and COOLEST & CUTEST nephew(Little V) for my birthday and broke them in today. I have to say that it was definitely a different feeling than the addidas Supernova cushion I have grown accustomed to. I was definitely watching where I ran a lot closer because if you run over a crack or a rock you feel it. The first mile I was thinking about the different feeling it was and the small amount of pain I felt (really minor but I have wimpy feet). I felt the balls of my feet a lot more and right now (2 hours later) I feel them EVEN MORE. I thought that when I took the shoes off after the run the balls of my feet would be bleeding, lucky for me they weren't. I didn't have any pain in my joints but I did feel like the run was a little more taxing on my body, like I worked different muscles a little more than when I wear shoes. I will have to tell you more on that tomorrow :-) Overall, the run felt good, I am not going to endorse the shoe 100% yet so please do not go out and buy a pair because what I have said. Read the book Born To Run and make the decision for yourself. I have EXTREMELY sensitive feet so I am sure it will take me a few weeks to toughen them up. I am definitely looking forward to doing more runs in these shoes and EXTREMELY THANKFUL to Henry, Laura and Little V for getting me them as a gift!

1pm

Garmin Stats-

Time: 40:25
4.68 miles
Avg Pace: 8:39 min/mile
763 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment